Friday April 13th, 2007
6:30pm to 10:00pm
Official Website: http://www.yurisnightames.net/
Cannot. Freaking. Wait. ^_^
Yuri's Night Bay Area will be held at Moffett Field in the NASA Ames Research Center's massive SOFIA hangar, home to the world's largest aerial observatory. Our host for the evening is pioneering space traveler Anousheh Anasari, the first privately funded female to reach orbit. She is joined by Dr. Chris McKay, world renowned expert in astrobiology and terraformation with the Space Science Division of NASA Ames Research Center, as they welcome you to a dazzling array of interactive art installations and science demos, interwoven with musical and acrobatic performances by some of the world's finest entertainers.
Cutting-edge interactive technology and live demos including:
* Exploration of the world through NASA World Wind
* Gigapan, explorable high resolution panoramas from around the world
* A portal into Second Life
* Burning Man Earth, Google's Black Rock City browser
Science demonstrations and innovations from the worlds of robotics, engineering, and astronomy, will also be on display:
* ASME's Human powered vehicle
* NASA robotics, including the next generation of rovers
* Exclusive heavenly imagery from Slooh
Engage with space-inspired and technology-infused art installations, including:
* StarZipper, created by internationally renowned artist Michael Light and collaborator Dave Rattray
* Peter Foucault's Motion Sensor Drawing Robots
* Spot Drave's collaborative evolutionary high-definition visual algorithm generator, Electric Sheep
* Meet the artists and scientists face to face or chat virtually with visitors from around the globe at a kiosk.
Experience rare video works documenting art in space:
* Matières Chorégraphiques by Kitsou Dubois, celebrated French dancer, choreographer and artistic director of Ki Productions
* Projects from the Zero Gravity Arts Consortium, Lowry Burgess's monumental project The Seed of the Infinite Absolute, Lorelei Lisowsky, and Frank Pietronigro's 'Drift Painting' in microgravity
* Meet Japan's space artist Ayako Ono
* Jean Luc Soret's Space Art project videos curated direct from Paris's International @rt Outsiders Festival.
Enter the Documentary Dome and fuel your imagination with the planet's greatest space-related documentaries, including screenings of:
* Dr. Maryanne Galvin's 'What's Going On Up There?'
* 'Hubble: 15 Years of Discovery': a project of international cooperation between European Space Agency & NASA that dramatically documents The Hubble Space Telescope.
* HBO's original production, 'From the Earth To The Moon'
Witness awe-inspiring space-themed performances by an armada of acrobats and dancers, featuring:
* KC Bella Fuega and Spiral Hoop Dance (orbital hooping and bellydance)
* Flowtoys (celestial light performance and UFO flowplanes)
* VigilAntiUP (intergalactic stilting)
* A Parade from the Future (with cutting edge Bay Area circuit benders and other worldly creatures).
Live dance and acrobatics fused with audiovisual performances, will be coordinated with a world-class lineup of live electronic music:
PLAID - Warp Records, UK
TELEFON TEL AVIV - Hefty Records, Chicago
BLUETECH - Aleph Zero, Native State, Portland
OOAH + BORETA - Glitch Mob, LA/SF
SUTEKH - Context, Soul Jazz, Leaf
MR. PROJECTILE & JONAH SHARP (aka SPACETIME CONTINUUM) - Merck, Reflective, Astralwerks
RD - Designed Disorder, Glitch Mob
WELDER - Cyberset
MOZAIC - N
The listing says it's only going till 10:00 PM. This can't be right.
It's not right, just know it goes until "later"
I think it goes until 6:30 AM.
OMG...this looks soooo cool.
anybody have any extra transport? ping me and let me know - be glad to pitch in for whatever.
See the forum at http://worldspaceparty.com/rideshare for updated navigational information (under Announcements) and to get set up for ride sharing.
here's the updated!
Robots, astronauts and belly dancers oh my...
YURI'S NIGHT LINEUP ANNOUNCED
On April 13 Nexus, Symbiosis and so many others bring you an evening unlike
any the Bay Area has ever seen. Celebrating humankind's first venture into
space, Yuri's Night Bay Area brings together artists, scientists, astronauts,
performers, musicians and you, to create an unprecedented convergence intended
to change the way we view space exploration.
PLAID - Live (Warp Records - UK)
TELEFON TEL AVIV - Live (Hefty Records, Chicago)
BLUETECH - Live (Aleph Zero, Native State, Portland)
OOAH + BORETA - Live (Glitch Mob, LA/SF)
SUTEKH - Live (Context, Soul Jazz, Leaf)
MR. PROJECTILE & JONAH SHARP (aka SPACETIME CONTINUUM) - Live(Semi-Sexual;
RD (Designed Disorder, Glitch Mob, LA)
WELDER - Live (Cyberset)
DR. TOAST - Live (False Profit)
and ... The SPACE COWBOYS aboard their interstellar transport, the UNIMOG
Sonic exploration will be complemented by a full range of visual and
Keynote speech by Anousheh Ansari, the first privately-funded female space
explorer. Throughout the evening, astronomers and other deep thinkers will
reveal observations and insights from decades of combined experiences.
Rotations and Revolutions
KC Bella Fuega (orbital hooping and bellydance)
Flowtoys (celestial light performance and UFO flowplanes)
VigilAntiUP (Intergalactic stilting)
Parade from the Future (Featuring circuit benders and other-worldly creatures)
Space-themed art from some of the Bay Area's most talented artists. Large
scale sculpture, multimedia installations, performances and awe inspiring
documentaries from the NASA archives and Zero Gravity Arts Consortium.
Explore exhibits and displays from the world of space and science, including
interactive media environments as well as demonstrations of robotics,
astronomy, engineering, chemistry, genomics and more by NASA and Bay Area
scientists and engineers.
Organic food vending and the Big Bang Beer Bar.
And much, much more!
We are actively soliciting submissions for science/tech works. Submissions are
still being considered for art works. Please visit our website for more info.
Yuri's Night is being held at NASA Ames Research Center's MASSIVE Hangar 211*,
home to the world's largest aerial observatory.
Ticket sales are now live with a very limited quantity of early-bird tickets
Moffett Field, Mountain View, CA, 94035
**Limited VIP tickets available**
Privileges include: a tour of NASA Ames Research Center (from historic wind
tunnels to modern flight simulators), VIP room overlooking the main floor,
dinner and drinks with Anousheh Ansari, exclusive Bay Area Yuri's Night
memorabilia and more to be announced.
As always, check http://www.worldspaceparty.org for the latest.
And please join our tribe at http://tribes.tribe.net/yurisnight07sf
Outer space y'all, we'll take you there...
Yuri's Night Crew, Over and Out.