Whose Bailout? Whose Economy?
Where To Go From Here?
SF Gray Panthers Discussion On the Current Crisis
With Jeff Mackler, of Socialist Action
Tuesday, November 18, 1 PM
Unitarian-Universalist Center, Fireside Room
1187 Franklin St, (betw. O’Farrell & Geary), SF 94109
The current crisis suggests some provocative questions:
* Is “the economy” just the stock market and the financial sector, as it’s been pictured for years?
* Is the problem greedy and short-sighted financiers?
* Is it worth saving an “economy” that can revive itself only by creating another boom that will then go bust?
* What is the significance of merging banking and government?
* Are there fairer or more sustainable ways it can be saved, and what would it take to get them?
* What are the similarities and differences between now and the 1930s, and what role did ordinary people take?
* Where does the need for renewed infrastructure, affordable housing, improved education, and universal healthcare come in?
Come to a discussion of these issues with Jeff Mackler, of Socialist Action. Members will give short presentations on some of these questions.
Official Website: http://graypantherssf.igc.org/calendar.htm
Added by mlyon01 on October 26, 2008