"Love You Madly!” features songs of Edward "Duke" Ellington, arranged for the gifted and versatile WMV jazz/chamber ensemble, plus new works by some of the most exciting Washington area composers. Performers include Gary Poster, bass singer, Ben Redwine, clarinet and saxophones, Joel Borelli-Boudreau, trombone, Rhonda Buckley, alto saxophone, Chris Royal, trumpet, Linda Smith, violin, Greg Watkins, double bass, Harold Summey, drums, and Carl Banner, piano. (You heard some of these players in Jezek’s Cabaret Songs)
The program includes:
* Songs of “Duke” Ellington, in new arrangements by Charley Gerard and Chris Royal (Love You Madly, Satin Doll, In a Sentimental Mood, Daydream, and Sophisticated Lady).
* Cinq Danses Exotiques for alto saxophone and piano by Jean Francaix – in five exotic rhythms: Pambiche, Baiao, Samba lenta, Mambo, and Merengue.
* Sonatina for clarinet and piano by Masatoshi Mitsumoto (premiere).
* “Emily’s Song” for bass singer and trombone by Lawrence Moss (premiere) - a new approach to the poetry of Emily Dickinson.
* “Had Us at Hello” for bass singer and piano by Charley Gerard. Text in English, German, and French from newspaper articles about Lance Armstrong and Mark McGwire.
* “Goldberg’s in a Sentimental Mood” by Charley Gerard (premiere). Solo piano work combining Bach and Ellington themes.
* Royal Garden Blues by Clarence Williams and Spencer Williams, New Orleans jazz standard.
The Atlas is located at 1333 H Street NE, Washington DC 20002. Admission is $20, $15 for seniors and students. Call the Atlas box office, 202-399-7993, for tickets, or go to www.atlasarts.org.
“Love You Madly!” is funded in part by the Sprenger-Lang Foundation, the Morris & Gwendolyn Cafritz Foundation, and by Meet the Composer, through its Creative Connections program.
Official Website: http://www.dcmusicaviva.org/
Added by j_matis on January 10, 2007