With the spring season comes fresh design and fashion trends, and the style experts from Georgetown’s boutiques share the following top 10 spring fashion trends to hit the cobblestone streets:
1. Neutral Tones: Neutral tones create a simple, elegant and classic aesthetic. Such colors as Champagne, Beige and all shades of Grey are included. With the large amount of print and color this season, these pieces can either complement or contrast the bold style. Find your neutral at Anthropologie. Located at 3222 M Street, NW, Anthropologie offers a wide variety of must-haves from clothing to decorative knick knacks. Call 202-337-1363 or visit www.anthropologie.com for more information.
2. Heavy Prints: Heavy prints will cover the gambit including sophisticated cocktail dresses to leggings. These prints include anything from tie dye to animal print, making any garment look like wearable pieces of art. “Heavy prints are a big part of our Spring/Summer inventory. Warm weather is the perfect time to spice up the boring color pallets of winter, with some fun prints,” says Georgetown’s urban contemporary boutique, Wink. Located at 3109 M Street, NW, Wink features clothing and accessories with a flair for the dramatic or classically chic. For more information please call 202-338-9465 or visit shopwinkdc.com.
3. Super Short Shorts: Super short shorts will be seen again this season in such forms as hot pants and boy shorts, making Spring all about the legs! Knee high socks and high wedge shoes serve as the perfect pairing, making for an unexpected sweetness to contrast with the super sexy style. You can find your short shorts, plus much more at Georgetown’s Express.
Located at 3222 M Street, NW, Express is the must-have sexy, sophisticated fashion brand for work, the weekend, or going out! For more information please call 202- 338-6626 or visit www.express.com.
4. Masculine Elements: Masculine elements are all the rage this season! Academic blazers with some padding, yes the 80s are coming back, and vests worn with shorts or leggings complete this dominant look. Play up the masculine tone with a feminine accessory such as a bold necklace from Poppy. According to owner of Poppy, Heidi Hess, “I do have a lot of Roman Turquoise style jewelry pieces coming in right now that I just love. This style plays with the idea of Roman masculine strength and power vs. Goddess femininity and beauty. Power and beauty can coexist beautifully.”
Located at 3235 P Street, NW, Poppy features one-of-a-kind pieces and commissions from jewelry designer Heidi Hess. For more information please call 202.290.1377 or visit poppymetals.com.
5. Peek a Boo: Underwear as Outerwear: Peek a Boo: Underwear as Outerwear is a nod to the 90s where designers chose to use cut outs, slits, mesh, corsets and lace to give a sexy little peek at the skins beneath the ornate pieces. It adds a layered look that is casual, yet smart. Those with a fondness for the finest in lingerie, corsetry, and hosiery will want to browse at Jaryam. Located at 1631 Wisconsin Avenue NW, Jaryam has been Georgetown’s exclusive purveyor of fine lingerie, corsetry, hosiery, swimwear and sleepwear for 23 years. For more information please call 202.333.6886.
6. Nautical: With the outdoors being synonymous with the beautiful spring weather, a nautical themed outfit is a must. From accessories such as rings and earrings, to bathing suits and cute dresses, the nautical theme can be seen anywhere! Find your nautical piece in Urban Outfitters’ “Wave of the Future” collection. Located at 3111 M Street, NW, Urban Outfitters has been the store for the creative and the eclectic. For more information please call 202-342-1012 or visit www.urbanoutfitters.com.
7. Feathers: Feathers of all colors and textures will be seen in this season’s clothing, particularly on mini skirts and tiny dresses. A great neutral top will complete the look allowing for the feathered skirt to be the showcase piece of the outfit. Find your feather skirt and much more at CUSP who is always on top of the current fashion trends. Located at 3030 M Street, NW, CUSP has been a boutique with a to-the-point perspective, where they still love the classics, but the CUSP girl knows it's the delicate balance between the radical and the refined that keeps her style on the CUSP. For more information please call 202-625-0893 or visit www.cusp.com
8. Bright Colors: You will find an almost excessive use of bright colors in this season’s line. Bright colors, specifically, Turquoise, is considered to be the must-have bright color on any piece of clothing, including accessories. Betsey Johnson’s One Night Stand Spring 2010 Collection is filled with brightly colored dresses, including bright pinks and blues, to name a few! Located at 3029 M Street, NW, Betsey Johnson will keep any fashionista on their toes and “in” with the current fashion trends! Stop in for Betsey Johnson’s promotion “Betsey Loves Pink Jams” where you present this promotional card and receive 15% off clothing! Betsey Johnson herself will be making a trip to D.C. March 9-10th for the American Association of People with Disabilities (AAPD) Gala! Stop by to show your support! For more information please cal 202-338-4090 or visit www.betseyjohnson.com.
9. Metallics: Designers are using any sort of glitz and sparkle through sequins and beads to dress up any piece. You can wear them alone or with a trendy neutral! Stop in and check out their sequin tops from Beyond Vintage! “While the prima ballerina might throw it on after a show, its perfect for a CHIC girl’s date night when paired with 7 For All Mankind’s Gwenevere Super Skinny Leggings, heels, and a great bag.” Shop for designer pieces from Shoshanna, James Jeans, Paige Premium Denim, Rebecca Taylor, Milly and more at Urban Chic located at 1626 Wisconsin Avenue, NW. Please call 202.338.5398 or visit urbanchiconline.com for more information.
10. Tunics: This Spring’s fashion collections are showing that shorter is most certainly sweeter for ladies with tunics being one of the main styles. This can be your neutral when paired with a heavy printed bottom piece or it can be your brightly colored or heavy printed piece depending on your mood. Find your must-have tunic at H&M. Located at 3222 M Street, NW, H&M offers fashion and quality at the best price with a broad selection to choose from for men, women, teens and children. Visit www.hm.com or call 202-298-6792 for more information.
Added by Kelly S Morris on March 15, 2010