Were you permanently scarred by a childhood spelling trauma? Do you have a poster of Rebecca Sealfon*over your bed? Has poor spelling on the Internet driven you to drink? Are you /still/ smarter than all of your friends? Would you like a chance to prove it?
Whether you spell "entertainment" D-R-I-N-K-I-N-G B-I-N-G-E or S-C-H-A-D-E-N-F-R-E-U-D-E the BUZZED BEE is the answer!
Pulses will race, vocabularies will be expanded, beer will be drunk, words will be slurred, and dreams of victory will be dashed in a single round. Come to compete, or just cheer for your friends and heckle your enemies. Callously bet on who will visit "the comfort room" first. Keep an eye out for classic spelling bee contestants like "The Rich Prep School Kid" and the "Neurotic Home-Schooled Girl". And if you're lucky, someone will pee in their pants!
We call it the BUZZED BEE, and it's taking place THIS THURSDAY NIGHT, at the Rx Gallery.
Thursday, June 1st, 8pm
Rx Gallery, 132 Eddy St. @ Mason
Admission is FREE
ATTENTION SPELLERS: Relive your elementary school fantasies by COMPETING in the BUZZED BEE Spelling Bee!
1. Arrive early to get on the list of participants because there's only room for a select few to compete in each round. Be there to put your name on the list by 8:30 p.m. at the latest. Spelling starts promptly at 9:00.
2. Once you're up on stage, size up the competition. Take a good look at who is sitting near you. It's always the ones with the nervous tics to watch out for!
3. Make sure to imbibe large quantities of "liquid knowledge", aka A-L-C-O-H-O-L. It will lessen your nerves and maybe the judge will take pity on your slurred spelling.
4. Trash talk is encouraged at the BUZZED BEE. Bring forth that inner cutthroat 8-year old with mouth of a trucker... "You wouldn't know the difference between plesiosaur and plumicorn if it came up and bit you on the ass!" Or, "Hey ref, you're a mephitis prick!"
5. All words used in BUZZED BEE are taken from the Scripps National Spelling Bee Consolidated Word List, which, if you actually have enough time on your hands to study, should preclude you from being a fun person and therefore you should stay out of the competition entirely.
Remember that the best and worst spellers will be competing for BUZZED BEE trophies, bragging rights, and more. Just think: a cathartic win here could save you thousands of dollars and years of therapy!
P.S. We're still seeking more overly enthusiastic people for our Dyslexic Cheerleadering Squab to cheer on our contestants. If you think you have what it takes please contact headlouse (at) mindspring (com)
For the latest BUZZED BEE news, visit catcubed.com/buzzedbee/
*Learn all about Rebecca "EUONYM" Sealfon at sfslim.livejournal.com/10037.html
Official Website: http://catcubed.com/buzzedbee/
Added by sfslim on May 29, 2006