The numbers prove it: biotech/life science is hot!
In the second quarter of this year alone, investors poured a whopping $2.4 billion into health care startups. How can your startup leverage this opportunity?
Our distinguished panel will discuss:
• Which areas within the biotech realm they're looking at today (i.e. medical devices, health care information technology, life sciences industries, etc.)
• And what stage would they have to be at in order to attract funding?
• How to gain investor confidence when deals in this realm are very expensive to get off the ground - for one thing, there may be various stages of clinical trials some companies would have to go through. How do you prove to investors you have what it takes?
• Alternative funding options for early-stage startups, such as grants
• Barr Dolan, Managing Partner, Charter Life Sciences, a clinical stage life sciences VC firm
• Charles Hsu, Venture Partner with Bay City Capital
• Mark Shuman, Clinical Director, California Institute for Quantitative Biosciences, aka QB3, a collaborative research effort between UCSF and private industry
The panel format will be informal and we encourage audience members to bring questions.
This event is co-sponsored by DLA Piper, http://www.dlapiper.com
Please note additional parking expenses will be incurred if you choose to park in DLA’s garage. DLA Piper does NOT validate parking. Contact Name: Anne Donker Contact No: 415.378.3966
Email: [email protected]
Popular FAQs regarding Startup-U:
What is the cost of this event?
A $5 (member) or $15 (affiliate/non-member) registration fee, plus a $1.50 credit card processing fee, includes event and lunch, available through advanced online registration. A $10 or $20 fee is collected at the door.
What is the format of a Startup-U event typically?
Generally speaking, each event begins with an introduction by the host followed by a brief talk about SVASE and self-introductions by each of the attendees. After the introductions, the host introduces a speaker (usually 20 minute presentation, followed by group discussion) or the discussion topic; the exact format varies based on the host and that variety is what makes this event so exciting!
Who should attend?
Startup entrepreneurs, anyone thinking about forming a startup, service providers, angels and VCs active in the Silicon Valley information tech and biotech entrepreneur communities. Past participants include:
Current and aspiring entrepreneurs
Venture Capitalists, Angels and other members of the funding community
Service Providers (e.g. human resources, contract programming, etc.)
Independent Consultants (e.g. sales, marketing, engineering, etc.)
Do I need to be a member of SVASE to attend this event?
Non-members and guests of members are welcome to attend any 2 SVASE Startup-U events. Afterwards, we recommend that non-members become members of SVASE. For more information on the benefits of joining SVASE, please visit our website at www.svase.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=category§ionid=4&id=100&Itemid=109&Itemid=59. You can also join at the event itself.
What if I have more questions?
Please contact the Host for this event: Anne, Dan, Sarah or Rob at [email protected]
This event is co-sponsored by DLA Piper, www.dlapiper.com
Added by svaseinfo on October 13, 2007