A Level 6 pandemic has been declared by the World Health Organization. Right now the world's governments and corporations are gearing up for significant social disruption this fall when the H1N1 virus comes back for its second wave. The virus is already causing significant disruption in South America and cases in the U.S. are growing steadily.
Current stats as of Friday July 10 for the United States
* Total cases: 37,246
* Deaths: 211
* Mortality rate of seasonal flu: 0.1%
* Mortality rate of H1N1: 0.5%
* Infection rate of seasonal flu: 10% to 20%
* Expected infection rate of this fall's H1N1 strain: 50% to 70%
Health and Human Services Secretary Kathleen Sebelius told government leaders at a swine flu preparedness summit on July 9 to plan for the worst-case scenario of the virus reappearing with renewed strength this fall. She advised 500 emergency planners in government, health and education “What we need to assume is that it will come back in a much more severe form.”
For this Meetup, André obtained permission to present the very latest information from Emergency Management Solutions (whose client list includes the world's largest organizations like MasterCard, Microsoft, the World Bank, Visa, the U.S. Department of Defense and many, many others).
What we will cover:
* What are the appropriate masks and other items to purchase now?
* What does it mean to receive a quarantine order? How likely is it?
* Which pandemic in the past is the Center for Disease Control saying this pandemic will be most like?
* What is the expected impact to businesses? What supply disruptions are expected? How many employees will stay home?
* How can an individual and family prepare now?
* How much food and water should you stock up on?
* When will vaccines be ready and who will be eligible to receive them?
1436 Howard St.
San Francisco, CA 94103
The official flu season starts October 1. There is still some time to get ready, but not much. Mingle starting at 6:30 and the presentation will start at 7pm.
Please RSVP. We have had good turnout for our first two events (>25 people both times) but without RSVPs it's hard to gauge how many people to prepare for :-).
Official Website: http://www.meetup.com/PostPeakLiving/calendar/10853387/
Added by aangel on July 13, 2009