Tour de Cure is our annual premier cycling and fundraising event offering bike routes for families and the avid cyclist.
- What: Tour de Cure is a challenging cycling event that allows both the avid and recreational cyclist to raise money for diabetes research and educational programs.
- Where: Reston Town Center, Reston, VA
- Who: 1,400 Cyclists, 300 Volunteers
- Why: All funds raised support the American Diabetes Association in our mission to prevent and cure diabetes and to improve the lives of all people affected by diabetes.
- Last year, our National Capital Area participants raised over $582,800!
2010 Event Details
- WHERE: Reston Town Center, Reston, VA
- WHEN: Sunday, June 20, 2010 (Father?s Day)
- WHO: Anyone who owns a bike! This year Gold?s Gym will host a Cycle-a-Thon on stationary bikes for anyone who would like to get involved, but does not own a bike.
- GOAL: To raise over $610,000 - HELP US REACH THIS GOAL!
- FUNDRAISING: Each rider raises the required $200 minimum to fund diabetes research, education and advocacy.
Diabetes affects 23.6 million children and adults in the US. Diabetes is a disease in which the body does not produce or properly use insulin, a hormone that is needed to convert sugar, starches and other food into energy needed for daily life. It was the seventh leading cause of death listed on U.S. death certificates in 2006. For more information please visit our website at diabetes.org.
We need help in the following capacities:
#1 Volunteer on Event Day, June 20, 2010.
We'll need Set-up, Registration and Clean-up volunteers; First-Aid Response and Safety Volunteers (great for Certified or Registered Nurses and EMTs), as well as Cheerleaders (perfect for students and youth groups to complete community service hours).
*If you are or know of medical professionals that enjoy donating their time, we are in need of First-Aid Response and Safety Volunteers for the Tour.
*If your kids need to complete community service hours, signing up for Tour is great!
*If you would like to get your company involved, we can sign up your office to help in our office or on the day of Tour! It is a wonderful way to foster team spirit and community outreach for companies.
#2 Join our Buzz Crew!
Our Buzz Crew is our team of volunteers who will help us with grassroots marketing and initiatives. We need your help at local cycling events and health expos.
Upcoming Buzz Crew Dates & Events:
- Gold's Gym End of Month Close Out at local Gold's Gyms, Tuesday March 30th from 5pm-8pm.
- GMU Health Fair at George Mason University on Thursday April 1st, shifts vary between 10am & 4pm.
- Cycle Fest at The Bike Lane, Reston on Saturday April 24th, shifts vary between 10am and 5pm.
#3 In-office help and preparation pre-event!
The weeks and months leading up to Tour are very bus. Volunteers will help in the office with pre-event preparation.
If you are interested in joining us a volunteer for Tour de Cure this year or have any specific questions, please contact Kristen Avioli, [email protected] or (202) 331-8303, x4532.
Added by keavioli on March 30, 2010