Organized under the "Office of Street Traffic Regulation Bureau," the Motorcycle Squad was founded by Police Commissioner Rhinelander Waldo on June 9, 1911. In 1912 the NYPD spent $1,000 on red "Indian" motorcycles. The following year, 1913 saw a dramatic increase in the effectiveness of the Motorcycle Squad in apprehending speeders. Motorcycles were fast and could easily maneuver between cars in heavy traffic, thus ensuring capture of the offender. In 1953, NYPD Motorcycles and RMPs were equipped with certified speedometer testing machines. That year the NYPD began the use of chemical testing of intoxicated drivers with a device called the "Drunkometer." Indian Motorcycle went out of business in 1953. This factored in the transition from the NYPD Red Indian Motorcycle to NYPD Harley-Davidsons and the change from the traditional Red Cycle to Silver came during 1957 to 1958.
Added by Upcoming Robot on January 28, 2009