Wow - we are SO excited to finally be offering this special hands-on soap making workshop! This SOAP LAB was designed specifically for those of you who have taken our CP 101 class but have yet to take the leap to making your first batch on your own. Perhaps you are a little apprehensive about working with sodium hydroxide. Or, your kitchen is a bit too small or a bit too occupied for a safe/focused soap making experience. Or, maybe you just don't want to deal with ordering all the supplies - you just want to go somewhere - make soap - and take it ALL home with you! After listening to what students want - we developed this unique opportunity.
Under the careful supervision of soap making power team Lori Nova and David Critchfield, you will make your own batch of soap, from start to finish. We will be here to help if you need or simply to observe as you design & make your own soap using the cold process method (in our opinion - when done correctly, with good quality natural ingredients, this soap method produces the best soap money can buy!).
We will supply all the raw materials and ingredients that you will need - the few things you need to bring are listed below. They are equipment related and you will be able to use in them for future soap making adventures. The best part is that you will go home with the 4-pound batch of soap that you made in class (yields about 18-20 bars of soap) - all bundled up so you can finish the curing process at home. The $30 materials fee (paid in cash to the teacher on the day of class) covers everything described below. You will also have the opportunity to purchase soap making supplies from the teacher after the class (cash/check only).
YOU WILL NEED TO CHOOSE BETWEEN 3 SOAP LAB TIMES: 10AM - 1130AM or 12PM TO 130 PM or 2PM - 330 PM.
WE WILL SUPPLY THE FOLLOWING:
* A container to mix your soap in
* Base oils: blend of coconut, palm, high-oleic canola, castor & olive
* Anti-oxidant (already added to the oil mixture)
* Distilled water (pre-measured)
* Sodium hydroxide (lye)
* Materials for lining your molds (depending on the type of mold you bring)
* Plastic wrap for the top of the mold (optional: to avoid soda ash)
* Tested essential oil & additive combinations (your choice - can mix/match additives):
1) Lavender & Oatmeal (a classic favorite for all skin types)
2) Orange & Cinnamon (a delicious sweet/spicy mix)
3) Lemon Poppyseed (another popular natural combination)
4) Spearmint & Lime (aka Mojito - like the Cuban drink)
Optional: If you prefer to use a scent combination other than what is provided, you are welcome to bring your own essential oils, colors and/or additives to further customize your soap. There will be no discount off the materials fee if you choose to bring your own ingredients.
STUDENTS WILL NEED TO BRING:
* Stick blender for mixing (can be purchased at Longs or Target for under $15)
* Gloves & goggles (we will have some to share but you will probably want your own)
* Non-aluminum mixing spoon & high heat spatula (a flimsy/cheap one might melt)
* Soap mold large enough to hold 6 pounds of raw soap or 20 bars (a simple shoe box will do)
* 2 bath towels or blankets to wrap your soap in
We anticipate this unique soap lab will fill quickly!
(Note: There will be a maximum of 10 people for each session.)
Official Website: http://www.thenovastudio.com
Added by novastudio on March 15, 2008