A new kind of night out on the third Thursday of every month through June, After Hours is live music, art, conversation, cocktails and more in an inviting atmosphere. Linger around the courtyard bar and listen to live jazz or sample a new small plates menu in the café. Experience something different each month – from impromptu gallery talks to contemporary performance to cutting-edge new music concerts – and spend time in the galleries exploring what the Gardner is all about.
Art, music and atmosphere: what will you discover After Hours?
December 20, 2007 – A Solstice Soirée
Bring your friends and join the Gardner for festive holiday drinks around the courtyard to celebrate the winter solstice in style!
* Courtyard Music: A live performance by brass quintet, in the courtyard decked out with holly, red twig dogwood, and poinsettias, sets the seasonal mood from 5-7pm
* Gallery Travels: Here’s a twist for this time of year: skip the Madonnas and discover pagan symbols of the season in the museum’s collection.
* Viewfinder: After the pagan art, get back to the roots of Christmas with discussions about The Annunciation at 6 & 7pm.
* Artful Flavors: Our chef cooks up a feast of his own; details TBD
* Exhibition: Hear artist Cliff Evans discuss his new exhibition, Empyrean, a five-channel video created with images taken from the internet with George Fifield, director of the Boston Cyberarts Festival.
* Drawing in the Galleries: Sketch one of the museum’s unique gallery spaces; drop in anytime between 6 & 8pm
* PLUS: If you haven’t made your list and checked it twice, there’s time for last-minute purchases in the Museum Shop, from Venetian glass jewelry to prints of your favorite art
After Hours PLUS
December 20, 2007, 7:00pm - Jazz at the Gardner: Lucas Madrazo Quintet
Singer Lucas Madrazo has always had music in his life. A former Berklee student now a native New Yorker, Lucas returns to Boston for this special appearance. His performance at the Gardner is presented in collaboration with Berklee, in a series featuring the music school's finest students and recent grads.
Cost: $5-23, admission free for museum members.
Official Website: http://gardnermuseum.org/afterhours/afterhours.asp
Added by gardnermuseum on August 14, 2007