Ever Since Copenhagen Replica organized by Youth Parliament of J&K on 13th of December, 2009 at Srinagar, there has been a tremendous and remarkable change in the awareness level of the people and their general attitude towards the environmental conservation.
With this as the Backdrop, CLIMATE CHANGE COUNCIL, (C3) under the aegis of Youth Parliament of J&K proposes to host the first ever Climate Change Summit, 2010 at the altitude of 13320 feets above sea level at Aparwhat, Gulmarg. The two days event will take place on 31st of July, 2010 and 1st of August, 2010 and will also be ideal platform to mark INTERNATIONAL YEAR OF YOUTH, 12 August 2010 – 11 August 2011.
After the two UNFCCC Conference of Parties (COPs) which took place in Pozan (2008) and Copenhagen (2009), we had witnessed greater media coverage on environmental issues in the press across the globe. What is now required is to convert awareness into action and direct this potential towards action oriented programmes, and demand and promote sustainable development, beginning with Jammu & Kashmir.
Environmental degradation, pollution and global warming are now recognized as imminent threats to human survival and people are ready to take action, even willing to readjust their lifestyles, to avert adverse environmental impacts of changing climate.
Climate Change Summit Highlights:
Climate Change Summit, 2010 will also highlight some often overlooked impacts of climate change viz. urban poverty, environmental inequality and economic injustice. We see it as a stepping stone in initiating and promoting green action in the State and creating a consensus leading to
• International Youth Summit, 2010 will be a two day event and will be hosted at Festival Area, Gulmarg.
• The event will bring together the youth from across the globe to learn, share and discuss the various environmental issues and challenges being faced by the State of Jammu & Kashmir.
• Registration for participation will be opened three weeks before the Summit and the final list of participants will be selected so as to ensure adequate representation of youth from different streams, professional backgrounds and districts of J&K. there will be nominal change for registration and participation in the summit.
• Selected candidates would be sent a Background guide on the Summit covering the various environmental issues and challenges faced by J&K.
• Another add-on feature/highlight will be Eco-tour. YPJK will be conducting an eco-tour for selected candidates to create awareness on the eco-fragile zones of Kashmir.
• Selected participants from the summit will be allotted green projects according to their choice which will be initiated through the medium of this summit. These would include project on; Eco-Tourism, Dal Lake waste, Wetland conservation, solid waste management, solar, biogas, youth nature clubs, organic manure, saffron, hangul, report making and many more in queue…
Last Date of Registration: 15th of July, 2010
Climate Change Summit, 2010: 31st of July, 2010
For Delegate Registration, enquiries please contact:
Chief Summit Coordinator,
Climate Change Council, (C3),
Youth Parliament of J&K,
R.O.: Behind Lake City Plaza, Gole Market, Karan Nagar, Srinagar, Kashmir
E.: [email protected]
Added by chinadialogue on June 21, 2010