Burgers. Beer. Sangria. Live Music. Fireworks. Prizes. Fun.
As much as you want of the above for 150 kuai.
It kind of sells itself, doesn't it?
Here are the confirmed entrants in the "Best Burger in Shanghai" competition:
SH, City Weekend, Sherpa's, Jebsen/Vin, American Craft Beer/ The Naked Cow, Blue Frog, Azul/Viva, Bubba's Smokehouse, ARCH, Jean-Georges, Buns of Steel and Renmin Burger.
And here are the confirmed judges:
Brendan Byrne (Hint Magazine), Shamus Sillar (Shanghai Talk), Collin Crowell (City Weekend), Neil Hsu (Black Sheep Design), Jarrett Wrisley (formerly of SH), Michael Connolly (Shanghai Expat), Chef Sean (Finestre), Gary Heyne (Henry's Brewery & Grill), Tim Sher (Buzz Magazine), Robbie Austria (McCormick Foods) and some guy named Dan Washburn (Shanghaiist).
(To avoid any conflicts of interest, judges will be sequestered inside the restaurant until judging has finished, and judges will not know whose burgers they are tasting until after everything is completed. There will also be a popular vote that all party-goers can participate in.)
Also, despite rumors to the contrary
, the part will go on rain or shine
. We'll have plenty of tents (and, really, after a few beers who notices a little rain anyway?).
Here are the party details:
- What: City Diner Independence Day Burger Grill-Off
- When: Sunday, July 1, 12 noon until 6 pm
- Where: City Diner Hongmei, 3211 Hongmei Lu, near Hongqiao Lu, Tel: 6401-1600. 虹梅路 3211号,近虹桥路.
- Food: All the hamburgers you can eat, cooked by the contestants in the Burger Grill-Off. You get to vote on the "Best Burger in Shanghai"! Sample entries from some of your favorite Shanghai restaurants. Other barbecue necessities like potato salad and cole slaw will also be provided. (There are still one or two slots open for the Grill-Off: Want to compete? Click here)
- Drink: Free flow of beer, sangria and other drinks! Beers included are Henry's Pale Ale on tap, cans of Fosters and a limited supply of American microbrews from the guys at American Craft Beer Partners.
- Live Music: Hard Queen, Ellen Manning on guitar, bluegrass with Tom & Jerry featuring JJ Davis, and Southern rock from Lonestar Wind
- Fun: Fireworks at sundown, lucky draw with great prizes
- Children: All are welcome — we will have face painting and other kiddie activities
- Price: RMB 150 per person, RMB 50 for children under 12
See you on Sunday!
Official Website: http://shanghaiist.com/2007/06/30/sunday_july_1_i.php