Currently "social networks" bring to mind the new hot software products entering the marketplace. There is a more fundamental meaning of "social network" -the networks which interlink the relationships of our everyday life. These are key tools of socio-cultural approaches and the results of these empirical studies have been influential in sociology, psychology, anthropology, economics, computer science, health, innovation, business and more. Social relations are the essence of social networks, which are integral to families, teams, businesses, nations and on-line social networks. Research shows that organizations and individuals who understand and apply knowledge of social networks are healthier, happier, more productive and certainly more innovative. Integrating this knowledge into management practices and software is stimulating an innovation and productivity revolution. Come learn about its potential.
Who should come:
- software developers
- human resource
The class is from 8:30 to 5:30 with lunch provided. The doors will open at 7:30 with breakfast food and coffee, so you can come early and "network" (we'll talk about that too).
- Overview: social networks, networks and networking, some background.
- Searching through networks for people and information
- Social network self assessment
- Social capital - what is it?
- How networks influence us and how they form:: positions, roles, institutions, norms, brokerage, closure
- How networks affect organizations and regions
- Networks and luck
- Networks and creativity and innovation
- Implications for individuals, organizations and software
The instructor: Don Steiny - http://www.steiny.com
About Institute for Social Network Analysis of the Economy:
The purpose of ISNAE is to study social networks and use the resulting knowledge to promote economic growth and social well-being.
Official Website: http://www.isnae.org
Added by FullCalendar on March 18, 2007