The situation in Sri Lanka continues to worsen for the Tamil people. This weekend the Tamil Tigers announced a ceasefire after calls from Canada, the UN and the US to do so. But the Sri Lankan government refused it and instead started a four way attack on the Tamil people. The region that the Sri Lankan government is attacking includes thousands of innocent civilians.
As a result of this shocking situation, Alberta Tamils are organizing an “URGENT PROTEST” calling on the US government to act quickly to save the innocent Tamils and condemn the government of Sri Lanka.
The Tamil community will be in front of the US Consulate General from 9am to 5pm. If you cannot come all day, please try to come between 11am and 3pm.
Please come show solidarity with the Tamil community. Here are a few pieces of information about the current situation:
• Ongoing siege of the Tamil region of Vanni resulting in the killing of over 3,000 innocent civilians between January and March 2009
• Displacement of over 300,000 civilians
• 150,000 civilians trapped without basic necessities
• International media and humanitarian organizations driven out of the country
• Assassination and incarceration of Sri Lankan journalists exposing the truth
For more information, email email@example.com or go to http://www.tamilnet.com/
Official Website: http://www.tamilnet.com/
Added by Grant Neufeld on April 27, 2009