1 Sekforde Street, EC1R 0BE
London, England

[ANN] JAVAWUG BOF 43 :: Open Mike Jam :: Tuesday 02 Dec 2008 :: London, UK

I would like to formally announce that JAVAWUG (Java Web User Group) is holding the Forty Third Birds-of-Feather (Meet-up 43) at Skills Matter on Tuesday, 2nd December 2008 from 18:30 until 20:00.

http://www.jroller.com/javawug/entry/javawug_bof_43_open_mike

Talk
What are the talks about?

In this final BOF of 2008 and before the holiday season begins in ernest, we are going to do something slightly different this year. This month we are turning the event over to an "Open Mike" session. You can volunteer to talk about any related Java Virtual Machine technology for up to 15 minutes or general software architecture and practice. You must submit your talk to the organisers before the event. All you will need is a laptop with DVI connection to a projector, dutch courage and, most importantly, passion to deliver.

If you struggling for ideas about this concept, open your mind to few examples. A short talk on agile development in your organisation is a good idea of a talk that falls inside software architecture and practice. An very brief introduction to another JVM language, such as JRuby, Groovy or even Scala, would be fantastic. On the other hand a presentation about only DotNet would be unwelcomed, but a reasonable talk could be about the integration of Java Mash Ups with DotNet through web services.

Caveat Emptor. We are going to limit the time of each talk to strictly 15 minutes and we have room for four or five slots.

In summary, you can talk about:

* A technology that runs on the JVM or
* Software architecture and practice in your organisation

There is a very short time to go the event. So get your presentation in now. Send an email to the organiser right now! Comment on the blog!

Slot 1
Author: Peter Pilgrim
Subject: JavaFX Update

The release date of Java FX 1.0 is happening on the 4th December 2008, two days later. Peter has some updates on the FX release, which might be possible share to the JUG members. FX is usable for Java/J2EE developers and also those who are bonafide web developers, PHP, Ruby, JavaScript and AJAX. A couple of demonstrations of the current code base might be possible, depending on circumstances.

Slot 2
Author: Louis Emmett
Subject: "JMX: You'll Wonder How You Ever Managed Without It"
Louis's proposal is, basically, in 15 minutes to show how easy it is to instrument Spring Framework applications with JMX. There will be a introduction for JMX newbies. Those who do not know much about JMX will be able to understand why this is a very good thing.

Slot 3
?

Slot 4
?

After Party
We are not sure what will happen afterwards. Because it is the year end, we may just have a drinks at Crown Tavern afterwards. Stay tuned for further details.

T.B.A

Registration

http://skillsmatter.com/event/java-jee/javawug-bof-43-open-mike-jam

The address is:

Skills Matter Limited
1 Sekforde Street
LONDON EC1R 0BE
Phone: 020 7107 2620
Fax: 020 7107 2621

If you would like to attend:

1. Please REGISTER so that you can be added to the SECURITY DETAIL with Skills Matter Limited.
2. If you aren't a JAVAWUG member why not join the JAVAWUG at Google Groups?

http://skillsmatter.com/event/java-jee/javawug-bof-43-open-mike-jam

Peter Pilgrim,
JUG Leader, JAVAWUG
http://jroller.com/javawug
http://jroller.com/peter_pilgrim

Official Website: http://www.jroller.com/javawug/entry/javawug_bof_43_open_mike

Added by peter_java_pilgrim on November 26, 2008